Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Musica y limpieza

 Hey lovely people,

    Things are going pretty well here in our final planning stages. We officially have only three more days until the first days of classes and I'm alternating between feeling totally competent and completely unprepared. I've been buckling down after a highly unproductive weekend of beer and street food, and my lessons for the first two weeks are all ready to go. Although as we haven't met many of the students yet, drastic revisions may be in order. 

     Today we went out to the school in La Palma and cleaned the hell out of that place. We had lots of help from our students and their families, who upon our arrival set to work digging up weeds, clearing the yard of the summer's debris, and mopping some of the dustiest floors I've ever seen. We also tried to install the Adobe Youth Voices software on our donated computers... but they are so old that most of them don't even know what a DVD is. So some last minute scrambling and begging for help from the nice folks down at  Computadoras Pro Jovenes (http://www.cpjmex.org/) non-profit is probably going to be necessary. It was great to meet more of the students and their moms and siblings, though - and they seem really exciting about the music program, too!

     Music programming is going really well; thanks to a little help from Liliana Gutierrez, a local musician and choir teacher, and my mom, I've got lots of silly singing warm-ups planned. I also got to give out my first business card today (I almost peed myself with excitement) to a local music store who may assist me in finding an affordable keyboard. Last time I was in Mexico I lugged a full keyboard around for ten months; apparently it would have finally come in handy. I've even got a few songs in mind - we'll be having a Christmas concert and party on December 18th in La Palma, so if  you're around you should check it out! Look us up on our website or on Facebook for more details as the date approaches. 

K, I'm going to go eat something. I went to the Tuesday market today and the plethora of interesting things in my fridge is calling me..

Thanks for reading, and see you soon,

Natalia




Hola, gente hermosa,

Las cosas van avanzando aquí en San Miguel. Ahora estamos en nuestra ultima semana de planeando, y empezamos a dar clases el lunes. A veces me siento que soy completamente preparada; en otros momentos pienso que todo va a ser un desmadre total. He estado trabajando mucho después de un fin de semana lleno de chelas y comida de la calle, y ya tengo mis lecciones para las primeras dos semanas listas. Aunque como que no hemos conocido a muchos estudiantes, es posible que tengamos que revisarlas mucho.

Hoy fuimos a La Palma para limpiar la escuela. Los estudiantes y sus familias nos ayudaron mucho – llegamos y ellos estaban desherbando y rastrillando el jardín y trapeando los pisos, que eran unos de los mas sucios que he visto en toda mi vida. Intentamos poner el software de Adobe en los computadoras que están allí, pero la mayoría son tan viejos que no tienen lugar para DVD... entonces creo que tengamos a suplicar a la gente de Computadoras Pro Jóvenes (http://www.cpjmex.org/ ) por su ayuda. Sin embargo fue chido conocer a mas estudiantes, sus hermanos y sus mamas, y me parece que van a ser muy lindos niños. ¡Están emocionados para el programa de música, también!

Los planes para el programa de música ahora va muy bien, gracias al apoyo de Liliana Gutierrez, una música y maestra local, y a mi mamá desde Canadá. Tengo muchos ejercicios divertidos para hacer con los niños, y aun tengo algunas ideas para canciones. Vamos a tener una fiesta y concierto para la Navidad en La Palma el 18 de diciembre; ¡si estén en San Miguel, deben venir! Miren aquí o en nuestra pagina de Facebook o web para mas detalles.

Bueno, ya me voy para comer algo. Fui al tianguis hoy y la comida en mi refri me llama...

Gracias por leer, y hasta pronto,

Natalia

No comments:

Post a Comment